Thursday, October 21, 2010

"MAD" Hatter Halloween Tea Party

I don't know what inspired me to do this, but the idea came to me to create a "MAD" Hatter Halloween Tea Party.  The Alice in Wonderland theme has been all around the blogosphere for beautiful birthdays, showers, and weddings.  I thought it would be fun to pay homage to the theme for Halloween, and play up the "Mad" concept.  Fortunately at the same time I had my brainstorm I "met" Gwynn of Gwynn Wasson Designs, and she was happily on board to help out!  She created all the printables for the design (except the clock toppers on the cupcakes) and will be offering them to you for Free Here!  She totally got where I was going with this and designed some fabulous printables.
I hope it's not too late for you to be inspired by this party....once again I pulled this together in a week.  You can too!




I incorporated all the usual suspects, with a twist.  Check out the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts below - they've seen better days!  The Cheshire Cat is on his 9th life, the Dormouse is now a Rat, the White Rabbit didn't quite make it on time (see bottom)...







Deets of the design & those 'extra touches':
  • Silver serving pieces I already own are set for tea...best part is I didn't have to polish it.
  • Add googly eyes to playing cards and name cards for added creepiness.
  • Tiny mushroom candies were placed in 'dirt' parfaits with the Caterpiller added on top; also a few butterflies lingering in the woods have found their way here.
  • Get the party started with a vodka & cranberry shooter served in a test tube.
  • A little adhesive 'bling' added to clock toppers & silver skull rings (used as glass charms) always add flair.
  • Black flowers are part of the centerpiece pedestal.
  • Favor boxes filled with candy bones and a chocolate truffle.  Add decorative paper to the inside of the box for an unexpected finishing touch.
  • Icons from the story are used throughout: watches & clocks, key napkin rings, playing cards (hearts of course); combined with spooky Halloween decor: spiders, webs, skulls.
  • My obsession with lace continues as I created a ribbon, lace, & trim table runner, and draped more lace and trim around the party.
See LOTS more photos in our Facebook Album!

Happy Halloween!



UndertheTableandDreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment